Type and Layout WorkshopPosted: November 13, 2016
Friday’s tutorial was hands down the most productive thing I’ve done this academic year so far. Admittedly it was just recapping all things that we’d learned before and other than the use of Em dashes and En dashes, I didn’t learn anything new, but it was a very welcome refresher. A chance to sit down and work on my layout skills, practise working to a tight deadline and getting useful feedback was greatly appreciated. I think feedback is one of the few reasons I haven’t dropped out (we were told to be honest and I intend to be just that).
I’m not saying it was the best day, in fact I was in a foul mood for most of it, everyone was irritated me at one point or another, and a lot of the work my group did was, I think, inaccurate in representing where I think my design skills are at, but it was a productive session nonetheless.
First of all we were asked to set a block of type in a decent layout, restricted to the same size type, leading, colour etc. The point was to focus on margins and grid structure and how well and quickly we can use Adobe InDesign. After arguing on how to use the software and one of us just working on his own thing and ignoring the rest of us even after attempting to get his insight, we got on with the task and created this:
Next we were given the opportunity to add a colour and include one extra font size to the document. During this stage I figured out the last section of text would be much more legible in the form of another table.
As I mentioned above, I don’t feel like I achieved my full potential during this class, partly because of differences of opinion between the group and partly because I was just having a bad day, so I went home and spent a short amount of time just recapping on concepts learnt during the lecture and trying out an alternative design including coloured shapes appropriate to the source and sorting out the tables, as I couldn’t work out how to edit them properly on Friday in the lecture.
After this exercise we had lunch, and the Dean came in for a chat, so the small amount of creative flow was interrupted and interest in this specific task was as good as lost. So to get back into the swing of the day, we were given the new task of designing a page of the book Great Expectations. I think we did fairly well, and created two designs; one realistic, more traditional version: with one single column and an elegant title and call-out, and one more contemporary, with two columns and a more modern typeface.
[Images coming soon!]
I really enjoyed this session, David is young and enthusiastic and seems to know what he’s talking about, and I really look forward to many more of these workshops. It’s one of the main things I signed up to uni looking for, and I, as well as others in the class, wish they were a much more regular occurrence. I should probably get on with my dissertation in the meantime, starting now.